Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Summer Fun

I'm still loving the Cherry on Top designer series paper stack.  Such bright colors and cheerful designs (although if you look, the Tip Top Taupe is in there to give you a little neutral to play off of.) 
  Here is another card I made for the Creative Crew challenges for July.  The theme is picnics, summer, and the new in colors Watermelon Wonder and Cucumber Crush.  Of course, those color names and themes, you can't possibly resist doing a watermelon card...here's one I made with a very simple layout and lots of fun patterns:


The cherries and the green hatch-mark patterns are both from Cherry on Top
I used the old neutrals color stack for the bottom layer.  I do like the way it looks--less contrast means that the eye is not drawn away as much from the main features of the card.  However, you may like the crisper look of the white polka dots in the new color stack, or a different pattern altogether.  Try it with the Watermelon Wonder pattern on the bottom.



The card stock is Watermelon Wonder and Cucumber Crush. You can get these together in the new Cherry on Top co-ordinated Card Stock Assortment Pack.
I also used some Whisper White to line the inside of the card, and for the little watermelon cutout.

I used an oval framelit for the pulp of the watermelon, then snail-taped it to a scrap of Whisper White, and fussy cut.  Then I layered it onto some Cucumber Crush and did the same, making the rind a little bit thicker than the white part.

I had tried cutting out the rind with the next larger framelit, but I didn't like the proportion, so I went ahead with the scissors.
The seeds are just drawn on with the soft end of my Basic Black Stampin' Write marker.
The watermelon is popped up with dimensionals.

 

  The "hello" is cut out with the "Hello You" thinlit in both Watermelon Wonder and Cucumber Crush, and layered them on to create a shadow. 

I recommend using white glue for this. (Like Tombo.) Place a blob of glue on a piece of scrap paper.  Dip the tip of your pokey-tool (officially known as a paper-piercing tool) into the glue, and use it to spread tiny dots of glue onto the back of your die-cut.  This will avoid big smears of glue ruining your project, or tearing the die cut by attempting to spread glue stick on the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment