Monday, July 20, 2015

July Class Projects

We had such a blast this weekend making all our cute cards.  Along with the Cheesy Birthday card and the Sweet and Simple card, we made these three as well (supply menu follows each card:)

Wonderful Watermelon


Cased from Michelle Reynolds, this delightful and easy summery card is a clever way to use the  Work of Art stamp set.  During class we decided to emboss the Watermelon Wonder background square with polka dots to give it a little more interest, but this is the original card with the plain background.  The seeds were made with the Tree builder punch from Basic Black card stock.  If you don't have the apothecary accents framelits, try one of the framelits suggested below.



Breezy Butterflies


This is a design I've seen in several places on line, with several variations.  I decided to give it soft summer colors, although if the weather hadn't been so hot lately, I might have gone brighter. The stripes of color are embossed, but I left the butterflies plain.  Variations made in class included: embossing the butterflies in a fine texture, and popping the butterflies up.  You might also want to try arranging the stripes in a different order, so that the butterflies are not in a diagonal line.  I used Crisp Cantaloupe card stock on the card above, but if you don't have any, Blushing Bride is a great substitute and works very well with these colors.




Clever Cupcakes
The design below is featured this week on Split Coast Stampers.  It is a lot of fun, and of course I had to mess with it just a little.

My first change from the original was to add the ribbon, and layer the sentiment over it.  I also outlined the candle on the bottom circle with Watermelon Wonder.


Next, I had to add some embossing to the flap.  I made a second card, but accidentally taped the cupcake medallion down before the pattern paper, so I used my 2-1/2" circle punch to make a frame for the paper, and just taped it down around the cupcake.  I like the way it looks better when the card is open, but not as much when it is closed.  Having the DSP poking through gives more pop to the cupcake.  I also taped the circle of Bermuda Bay back behind the cupcake, framing it completely. This change I do like quite well. On this card, the candle is moved as well. 


The third card I made with a different pattern paper, used the sentiment for the closure, moving it down; and added a small bow to the ribbon.


I think I like this placement of the elements best, as the card is balanced both when closed and when opened half-way like this.

When you open these cards all the way, they looks like this:

1 comment: