Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Mojo Monday

Mojo Monday challenge 388--a fun little sketch.  The star somehow made me think of "a tall ship, and a star to steer her by..." and then I left the star off of my card, 'cause that's how I roll.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhZ2CZuIdVgxnLeOHaNQyk2h3SU9KeXR8mJoRDoKjNgs3gaT1ZoBORQjKr6lHsHyaU3IkS3zj4N6Fet8_JjNZcoq1oa-GZYYC3-yg-fUAK5fSrGY8HUqIdcrUikRb3pGFOfnMc1yS1k0nGF/s1600/mojo388.gif
 I love this saying, from the Adventure Awaits stamp set.  The whole set is very 50s deco, and lots of fun.  This is perhaps not the best way to highlight a stamp that wants to be done in juke-box colors, but I like the overall card.  The ship is from "The Open Sea."

Here is a Clean-and-Simple version, no sentiment. 
 I loved the lonely look to this, but I kind of felt that it wanted a couple of seagulls.  So I put them in, and immediately regretted making them so big and so stark.  Should've used my gray marker, and a much less curvy wing, to make them look more real against the cloudy sky.

I should probably file this under "mistakes that bug the card maker and are hardly noticed by anyone else," but I know that this is such an egregious error, that you can't possibly overlook it.  Can you?



Supplies list: (shop here)
Stamp Sets:  Adventure Awaits, The Open Sea
Card Stock:  Whisper White, Smokey Slate, Basic Gray, Soft Sky, Lost Lagoon
Ink:  Memento for the stamps; Soft Sky, Lost Lagoon, Smokey Slate, Basic Gray for spongeing.
Accessories:  Scallop Border Edge Punch and a Basic Grey marker for your optional seagulls.  
All the Usual:  Snail tape, dimensionals (for the top card only) sponges (for the bottom cards only.)

Hints and Tips:
On the bottom card, tear a strip of Soft Sky card stock, and only sponge the torn edge very lightly to get the look of foamy brine.  This section is sponged in Soft Sky and Lost Lagoon.
The sky is sponged in Smokey Slate and Basic Grey, with a touch of Lost Lagoon to make the sky look stormier.  When doing the sky, go lightly--try not to saturate your sponge. Wipe of excess ink on scrap paper before rubbing on your card, to get a mistier look.  Try a combination of stippling (patting) and rubbing.
  
Oh, and make your seagulls smaller than mine.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment