Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Playing With Color Palettes

I found a gorgeous card on line made with retired stamps and ribbons, so I decided to update it.

But before you look at the card, look at the color palette:
Daffodil Delight, Bermuda Bay, Old Olive, Calypso Coral        So Saffron, Coastal Cabana, Pear Pizzazz, Crisp Cantaloupe

Two variations of the same colors, one more saturated than the other. 
I started with the Blended Bloom image on Whisper white Cardstock, and punched out each quarterof the image with my postage stamp punch. I colored each quarter with a different set of colors, as listed above.  To get this effect, use either your Blendabilities (if you were lucky enough to get a set,) or use your ink pads and aqua painters, or markers and blender pens. 


















I cut two sets of squares using my 1 3/8" punch, one in the darker palette, one in the lighter, just to compare.  To me, the darker squares in coral and teal brought out the shadows in the flowers, making it appear almost like a water lily half submerged, whereas the lighter squares made the flowers look more bright. 

I found the opposite effect in the yellow and green.  Strange.  I was thinking that I liked the darker palette better, when it occurred to me that I was not restricted to either or!! It's my card, after all.  


I ended up choosing the darker shades for the warm colors, and the lighter shades for the cool. 


The final result?
Ink pads:  Daffodil Delight, Coastal Cabana, Pear Pizzazz, and Calypso Coral  (Stazon for the image.)
Paper:  Whisper White, then Pear Pizzazz, Calypso Coral 
Stamps:  Blended Bloom, Crazy About You
Ribbon:  Sale-a-Bration Coastal Cabana 1/4" ribbon
Punches:  Large Oval Punch, Scallop Oval Punch
Shop Here

No comments:

Post a Comment